Friday, February 20, 2009

Sick and blistered...good news!

 

Well, here's the news...I had a fantastic time at Windy Gap last weekend www.windygap.younglife.org  - our TN Region of Young Life Leaders had our "Leadership Weekend" there.  It was an amazing time.  Several of my good friends, mentors, and partners in ministry spoke on the weekend....and many more were there (over 350) to be a part of what we called the "Weekend O Love", since it was on Valentine's Wknd.  It was a great time; a real "God thing".  Our leaders felt taken care of and invested in - I believe it will help to instill things in them for the future of their ministry.  Thanks be to God.  There's more to tell, but for now..I wanted to write to talk about the day AFTER Leadership Weekend. 

I woke up feeling a bit funny on Monday...then I got really cold, and colder, and more so - then I was freezing and shaking!  It was nuts.  I couldn't get warm!  Then it got worse..headaches, shakes, sweating, freezing, misery, and lying in bed for over 24 hours!  It just stunk up a storm.  During one episode, I sneezed and thought I was dying! It has never hurt so bad in my head to sneeze.  All I can really say is I was just sick, people.  Then...the next day happened. 

Tuesday:  I got out of bed around 1 pm feeling I may be able to get up and try to be "productive" for the day.  So, I wanted to get to the office.  Then, I realized (when I went to the office) that my lips started feeling funny.  Well, I became oblivious to what I've been familiar with seemingly forever!  I finally realized Wednesday a.m. that I have FEVER BLISTERS!  My body has been through so much stress...it just burst into bumps on my mouth and in my nose! I'm talking like 17-18 fever blisters!!  I have seven clusters of them on my face!  Unreal....feels like when I was little and had Inphitigo(sp).  I purchased a $20 miniature thing of Abreva to attempt to heal them. I have my own recipe for successfully ridding fever blisters, but this called for drastic measures....and today is Friday - still there.  Still hurts.  Still looks rough.  Oh well, that's how it goes I guess.

You know, maybe God wanted me to hear something in this spell of sickness....I'm listening.  I'm wondering. I am ready - and it occurs that I have to trust no matter what that He is good.  He is unchanging.  He is great.  He is forever. He is my salvation and He is alive in my heart - sick or not..fever blisters, painful sneeze or not!  To God be the Glory!

 

Well, more good news - check out this from Olivia:

Some of you know this and some of you this is the first time hearing it but I would appreciate if you could pray for me.  I am going in on Wednesday for glucose testing.  I have had some episodes recently of coming close to feeling like I am going to pass out.  It usually seems to happen when my blood sugar is low but last night it came out of no where...after I had just had dinner.  There are other symptoms I am experiencing and so I went to my family doctor this morning.  I had blood tests taken and they came back normal so the next step is to do the glucose test.  I was really hoping that my blood test would come back that I was anemic and that I just needed more iron in my diet but that was not the case.  So Wednesday morning I go in at 8 a.m. for the glucose screening which takes 3 hours. Hopefully they will be able to tell from that if I am hypoglycemic or hyperglycemic which can be regulated through my diet.  I can not eat after midnight and I am guessing I will not be able to eat or drink during the three hours I am there.  Andy is going to go with me b/c I am scared to be alone in fear of passing/blacking out-from not having any food.  It also makes me a little nervous b/c I am breastfeeding but I think I should be fine.  If the glucose comes back normal than my doctor has said I will need to be referred to a specialist (either neurologist or endocrinologist).  My human nature wants to worry20and be scared but my Jesus is much bigger than my fears and for that I am hopeful. Thank you friends.  I will keep you posted..either through email or possibly the blog.  Thank you for your prayers!

Love-Olivia

Just wanted to give you an update on my test this morning/afternoon. As of right now I still have no answers. I did the testing and then my doctor should be calling me today or tomorrow (fingers crossed...i hope) to let me know the results! It was a very long day. I was in at 8 a.m. and did not leave until 1:15. My doctor decided to change it to the 4 hour test instead of the 3 but I ended up having to be there 5 hours. They had to "stick" me, draw blood, 6 different times so needless to say both arms are sore. I was nervous this morning about being sick from not being able to drink anything or eat anything but that quickly changed...I felt very covered in prayer and very thankful that the Lord sustained me till the testing was done. And I ate a humongous lunch, oh so yummy Zaxby's. Thank you for the sweet emails and phone messages you have left...I am so grateful for such dear family and friends. I am thankful for Andy. He has been so sick since Monday morning but thank you Jesus he started feeling better yesterday late afternoon and could go and sit with me today. He takes such a good care of me.  I will let you know when I hear something. Thank you friends!

Much love-Olivia

Again thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers.  I heard back from my doctor late yesterday afternoon.  It has been determined that I have reactive hypoglycemia.  I don't completely understand it all but have been reading up on some articles online. In short, hypoglycemia is low blood sugar, reactive hypoglycemia is low blood sugar that occurs usually one to two hours after eating a meal. Basically my body is producing too much insulin. (Right Mindy?) Because of this condition I am at a higher risk of developing diabetes when I am older, but this is not something I am dwelling on or worried about.  We are thankful to have answers and to now be proactive about it.  So I have to change my diet and how often I eat-completely. It will be a lifestyle change for our family, but we think it will be a good change, a healthier change. It is unclear if it is hereditary or not but Andy and I will be aware of what to look for in the boys. Andy and I are thankful and hopeful that this is something that can be regulated through diet and exercise.  Thank you thank you thank you for your sweet emails, call, and prayers..we are grateful for you!

Love-Olivia

 

Blessings to you.  Thanks be to God, the Father.

His Peace,

-ao

No comments: