Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Liquor Boxes on my front porch

I wonder how many moves it takes to become sick of moving? I would imagine my family and me to not be the types that “like” to move; however, our track record would show otherwise. Growing up I moved quite a bit, had divorced parents, and was in and out of trouble. I like to say that played a role in my being able to handle change perhaps better than others….so I say! Transition – just another piece of the pie in the mix of yet another house. We have a new house….again. This home is our 4th home – in just over 7 years. I was sitting with a friend recently who told me his wife’s parents were buying their 4th home soon….in just over 44 years! Wow. But, in the scheme of things, none of our moves have been in vain…they have each served in a capacity to help aid in us working to bring Glory to the Father. Each move has helped us financially…each move has been better! We have used each house more and more – not sure if that is telling of us getting older and more cemented in ministry or part of the deal as we change homes and looking to use them more and more! Our hope with this home: to use it! To stay in it (at least for a long while)! To be home and love the Lord and to love each other to the best we have been given….and to share this house as best we can – in ministry and in love. God has completely provided this house…there is no other explanation, I promise.

When you might ask me how am I doing? Well, over the past 30 days I would have told you one of a variety of different answers and not all of them were pretty! I have stunk it up. I have celebrated. I have been with Jesus. I have spent time with my wife. I have spent time with my family. I have worked much and have worried much. I have stressed and I have rested. It took a good friend last month calling me to say to me (referring to my monthly report), “what you should have said was I’m empty! That would have been the same thing…” and then he called me out. He talked of how I’ve been doing this (ministry, Young Life, Area Director) for over nine years and I am still working too much and not being with Jesus and Olivia the way I desire. He talked of me being with kids, leaders, donors, and committee folks in a daily routine but how I work so hard at that and so little at managing my time in order to remain healthy and be healthy at home and healthy in ministry. So, in the words of the Michael Jackson concert tribute to his life and movie, “This is IT!” - I am ready, Lord. I am ready to walk with Christ in the midst of all this. This is it! I am ready to realize my desires and my longings are deeper than my vocational achievements and temptation to say YES to whomever asks.

So, a new home. High time for a refreshed look at Christ in me and His infinite love. New home….high time for a renewed pursuit of Olivia. High time for a deeper intentionality of spending time with my two little boys. And…a new home is high time to be reminded of God’s love and blessings and opportunities to use it in His name so that more can be here and feel His love and be reminded of Jesus. That’s our hope. That’s what’s on my mind lately – new house…stories…stresses…and the love of God – I continue to be reminded of the hope of His Glory from sufferings and perseverance and of His faithfulness out of being in Romans and Ezekiel in my times with the Lord.

I am grateful for your prayers….there is much to tell – would you consider being like my friend last month and following up with me? It is a means of accountability and connection to those I send this report to.

Blessings.

-ao

No comments: