Friday, August 13, 2010

It’s an effort to get back

Well…it’s been a while since I last wrote on here. I was on assignment at Windy Gap. I worked too hard. I spent myself with others….with the work crew, the assigned team, the campers, my family, and my concern for all of them. It was a sweet time….it was a difficult time….it was a time that much fruit came from what the Lord did in the lives of the folks that were at Windy Gap over the past 3+ weeks.

I have thought much about what it means to get back home and get “back in the saddle” again. I have wondered about writing, about being with people, tending to my garden, and standing on the sidelines of high school football on Friday nights. I have wondered about fishing with my boys, taking my wife on dates, and digging back into the lives of my high school friends I spend so much time with during the school year. I have wondered about my life, the things I have said and done and the words I have wished I could say but had no time to write them down. I thought about much and forgot probably more than that. So, in my effort to get back and begin putting on paper those forgotten thoughts….here is an attempt to return to what occupies my mind so often.

Home:  it’s a place of comfort. It’s a place to dream of and wonder about. Is this the right one? Is this the one for a long time….how long is that time going to be? Is my enjoyment of my house a reflection of my inner life? Is my desire to sit in my yard, on my hammock, at my garden, on the front porch, in the cozy nook, or at the dining room table a picture of contentment? Is it a picture of a desire being satisfied or is it more “stuff” that cannot fill my heart the way that only a relationship with Christ truly can fill me? I love being home. I love being w/my family. I love the mornings and the thoughts that come about during those times.

For me, it has been a refuge that has soaked in time with Jesus and time w/my family. I have tended to our little garden and have watched and nourished plants as best I could – now we have fruits everyday and it feels like I have been involved in this spiritual battle as we have been growing food – wondering if this garden is about like my heart, my time with Jesus and our family’s reflection of Christ in us. We planted late. We planted wrong. We did not have enough room. We should not have seen good fruits. Our garden keeps providing. The Lord is our provider. Our garden foods have tasted amazing. It’s just been fun to go out to the garden, see what is ready “today” because every day has it’s own little surprise.

I wonder, where will this lead me in my time with Jesus. I hope I can write more to say…soon.

Blessings,

-ao

No comments: