For years, my dad has wanted to name his farm...his dream ranch, "The North Spoon" - so as homage to my pop's dream ranch, hence, my title. It brings up great memories in my life and I hope to post great memories,thoughts,and events on this blog. Blessings. -ao
Sunday, August 7, 2011
A Father's Love
Today, I came across some words spoken by a man that I haven't caught before.
"wisdom is justified by her deeds." -Jesus of Nazareth, the Christ
He was speaking of John the Baptist being a great man...and of John's actions being ridiculed by others but that he was truly a man living in obedience to God. His life reflected the knowledge and trust in the Father.
Wisdom made known by its actions.
What is it about old men that young men long to sit on riverbanks and rocking chairs to gain and grasp what they have....what is it about a little boy listening to his grandfather and bring in awe of his wrinkles and his stories. My dad used to tell me that "this ain't my first rodeo" and "I'm no spring chicken". He had lived and seen things that I had not. His idea of the present reality was due to being an eye witness of those scenarios before. He'd seen it. He'd done it. He'd thought it.
Another thing he taught me: "there's no substitute for experience..."
Wisdom. Gives away to action. Preceded by only experience.
I am about to have a daughter. I have two sons. When I think of what I know about being a dad...the father of my children, there are only a few things that approach in my mind.
-Jesus...the love of God, our Heavenly Father.
-My Dad, his love for me...his care and coaching and stories and rebirth in the Lord.
-My experiences and desire to love and lead my children.
-My wife. Her love. Our marriage. God's provision.
I am a father. I am a father of three...
I love being a daddy. The love of my children is ridiculous. It wells from within. What I know..what I have been taught..what I teach, they are only justified..made known..trusted...by my own deeds as a father.
Proof: It's in the pudding! (my dad told me that too)
So..
Live my life unto the Lord.
Walk in His ways.
Love my children like it's my job. Because it is.
Play hard. Carry them much. Coach them daily. Be positive.
Offer truth. Communicate all I am and desire to be.
Admit my weaknesses. Apologize when needed.
Hug much.
Stare into their eyes.
Wink.
Shake hands.
Play daily.
Read together.
Pray together.
Explore. Take risks. Be adventurous. Lead by example.
There is so much more...
My love is only stretching and gaining depth. I am so thankful.
Happy Sunday.
Blessings,
-ao
Labels:
None
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment