“And after six days Jesus took with him Peter and James, and John his brother, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. 2And he was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became white as light. 3And behold, there appeared to them Moses and Elijah, talking with him. 4And Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good that we are here. If you wish, I will make three tents here, one for you and one for Moses and one for Elijah.” 5He was still speaking when, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my beloved Son,[V] with whom I am well pleased; listen to him.” 6When the disciples heard this, they fell on their faces and were terrified. 7But Jesus came and touched them, saying, “Rise, and have no fear.” 8And when they lifted up their eyes, they saw no one but Jesus only. 9And as they were coming down the mountain, Jesus commanded them, “Tell no one the vision, until the Son of Man is raised from the dead.” 10And the disciples asked him, “Then why do the scribes say that first Elijah must come?” 11He answered, “Elijah does come, and he will restore all things. 12But I tell you that Elijah has already come, and they did not recognize him, but did to him whatever they pleased. So also the Son of Man will certainly suffer at their hands.” 13Then the disciples understood that he was speaking to them of John the Baptist.”
-Mattew 17:1-13 ESV
Follow me. That’s what He told them. He said to do so, he/we must give up all right to ourselves and take up our cross – our right to punishment, to exile, persecution – the act of being pursued for sake of ridicule at God the Father. He said to do these things and follow Him – His footsteps, His word – the life He calls us to. So, I am to follow Jesus. I am to take up the (my) cross, daily. Perhaps I could spend some time on what this means for me. Maybe you, too?
Then, a week later, Jesus chooses a few. He chose Peter, James and his brother, John. If I got invited to a hillside to be alone with Christ and my brother and my best friend….it would be one for the record books! I would be prep’d and ready to jot down my thoughts and live tweet my emotions, the view and the conversation topics. I would feel special. I would feel like I was IN. I think these disciples felt this way. Nontheless, Jesus chose them and revealed a portion of His Glory – the Glory of God the Father. These guys freaked out, ready to camp out and soak it in. The voice of the Father came booming and they dropped to the ground. They were scared and unsure of their response….Jesus then touched them. They saw the presence of the Lord, were in His presence, and viewed the presence of God’s Kingdom among them…and felt the touch of the Lord in all the midst of this divine presence of men who’d died many many years prior and of the Holy Father’s presence, Glory, voice and command…..for, God said to “listen to….” Jesus. I like this. God is there. Moses. Elijah. Disciples. A little hilltop secret pow wow to reveal truth. Jesus does his thing and displaces the fear. The men understand they are with the true God. They are with the Messiah. They are with Jesus and are to listen to Him.
Me, too. I am in the presence of the Lord. I am His. I am commanded to ‘listen to Him..” and for this I am grateful. Jesus, help me to listen to your words and your call on my life. I am called to be w/you….to walk with you and all things “other” will come out of this connection.
May I take up my cross and follow you, losing my life to gain what you paid for. LIfe eternal in your presence. All spiritual blessings in the heavenly realms: –Ephesians 1:3
Blessings,
-ao
No comments:
Post a Comment