Thursday, December 12, 2013

Inside the Tree Trimming…a cry for help

 

Advent 2013.

Zechariah went into the temple of the Lord…then, an angel of the Lord appeared to him, standing at the right side of the altar of incense (he was to be burning incense). When Zechariah saw him, he was afraid.

READ SCRIPTURE: Luke 1:11-13

“Don’t be afraid….your prayer has been heard…”

Do not fear. It’s the theme, over and over again – when God shows up, when His angels appear….when He encounters man…rather, when man encounters His presence – Fear resides. Yet, repeatedly, the response from Him: Do. Not. Fear.

“…Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” –Joshua 1:9 NIV

The angel told Zechariah….your prayer has been heard. Your prayer? I would imagine there were many prayers (thanks to Walt Wangerin’s Preparing for Jesus for this insight) over the years. Many prayers for children, for love, for marriage…for confession and doubts. Prayers for others. Prayer, for the wonder of God and His mystery – or perhaps the lack of it all. Prayers, just like  mine. Just like yours. For all that life seems to throw my way.

Your prayers have been heard. Every single prayer…He hears.

What have I prayed for? Christmas gifts? Christmas? People? Myself? Friends and family? Love? Money? …so many things that I have lifted up'; regardless of motive, God heard my cry.

He hears your cry.

Praying…for Christmas, for Messiah…for my own Passover! My salvation. He comes….He comes as the Rescuer – for all of it. Am I preparing for this celebration…this incredible and joyous event called the birth of Christ, for…me!!?

It’s the most beautiful story ever told – it has been told for thousands of years – it was foretold and came to be. It’s His Promise. He promised His gift:  His rescue. I wonder, do you need to be rescued?

READ SCRIPTURE:  Luke 1:24-25

His favor. He has shown his favor…and taken away disgrace. Christmas, the favor of God…removing our disgrace, our wrong, our Sin.

When have you been disgraced? Been in need…and were forced to endure things out of your control. To endure that which you would not have chosen…

Look! He comes…Christmas is nearing!

I know a man whom has endured much in his life…he has seen life take turns he never saw coming. He hoped his life would be considered a success, he hoped his family would respect his decisions, he attempted to lead his family as best he could for the time he had. However, his cards played out a bit differently. Instead of polished and clean, his world became scuffed and messy – other things became priority instead of his family, his finances became a three-headed dragon, and his world turned upside down. I often think of him as miserable and lonely – I love him dearly….yet he is one of the most lonely, misunderstood and on-the-run people I know. Been in need, backed in a corner – yet escaped only to still run – there is no true escape…only running, only fear, only this need that exists within you and me!

This man needs rescue…just like I do. We need Jesus equally as much – we need rescued. After all, it’s Christmas – the baby, born to give me Life and Life-eternal….His coming is near! May I be in tune with my own heart, my own reality and my own desires.

Christmas carols, holiday coffee creamers and a hurried lifestyle seems to resound as December 25 ever so beautifully approaches on our calendars. Will you sing? Will you partake and eat and drink of the love of God? Will you slow your pace…standing to wait and watch for what He is up to within you? I hope we will…

Take some time to sit with the Lord. Offer up your prayers. Respond in any way you feel needed today.

Christmas Blessings,

-ao

No comments: