Friday, November 14, 2008

October 2008 - Ministry Report

Below is what I send out (monthly) to our YL Committee and a few folks who lift me up on a regular basis; I thought I would leave it here, too.

 

What about me?

This is the theme in my life. “What about me?” – is what I keep hearing. I sat with an LCHS friend of mine, in our new YL office (pretty cool place) for a few hours, recently, and he told me the same. After a lot of talking and laughing and discussing fall camp, etc. – he told me about how “cool this is” that we were hanging out. He talked about wanting time to just hang out; he didn’t want time being disciple, time being coached, or time talking about YL things – he just wanted time together. I realized in that moment that my friend, the senior at LCHS, was tired of being the Young life “goto” guy and wanted to know in his own way “What about me?” instead of “how about those other kids that do not know Jesus….” It was good for me to hear that. It was hard; I tried to hold on to my tears that came up because it hurts. It hurts to be told I have not spent enough time with someone I care about. As I thought about that, I knew I would write my monthly report on this specific thought of “What about me?”. I hear this when I go home; I hear it from all of them. Olivia is asking the question, Wyatt asks the question, and even Boone smiles at me…..asking the question! If I am honest, I even ask the question of them, too. I think in my heart, I presume the Jesus asks me the same – I feel His Spirit nudging my heart, as if to say, “Andy, what about me?” This is my cue to move in deeper – with all. I am trying to listen to what the Lord is saying to me and am trying to do so by being attentive to all the things going on my life. I am listening to my dear wife who wants time with me….not more of time away. I am listening to my son, Wyatt, who says “Daggy….wrestle???.....will you wrestle me, please..Daggy..??” - And it seems to come as I walk out the door. I listen as Boone smiles and giggles only as little babies who can’t talk do so when they are excited. I listen in my own heart when I wonder the same question to them; I want time with Olivia, I want time with the boys, I want time with Jesus. I want time to live my life as I am supposed to. You know, I even want time to do my job. I feel like things have been in a whirlwind, lately. I have been caught in the tailspin after having Boone and haven’t felt back in touch w/my job in some time, now. It has affected me for sure. I feel like I am an Area Director who loves my role and loves what I do, yet I cannot get in to the rhythm that I long to be in. I think of a quote that I heard from St. Augustine, “ …(I) am restless..until I rest in thee.." That is my hope and vision for myself. I long to rest in Him – apart from Him, my life is just restless! As Olivia says, “Everybody wants a piece of Andy”; and then it seems to show and we feel worn down. I am thankful for a few days this week of rest. A few days of R&R time with Olivia and Boone. I am thankful Wyatt could spend some time at his grandparents’ house. I am thankful to have been able to ride in the car and be with Olivia and just talk. It has been so good. yet, I continue to ponder this theme that keeps getting asked around me and of me – Hey Andy…”What about me?”

Young Life Business

It is happening. Club has been split – we now have two area clubs! Greenback has its own and so does LCHS and LHS. We meet a few times a semester to have joint club and it’s been a beautiful thing! GHS has 20% of their school’s population coming to club! They have 15% of it attending campaigners on a weekly basis. In a school of 270+/- students, they have seven leaders and tons of kids coming to YL events! It is such a beautiful thing to see. We are having our share of struggles in Loudon High and are handing things to the Lord and going to simply “go” – then we will watch..and see. At Lenoir City, we are seeing some pretty cool things: Fewer leaders than ever, quite a few kids coming and several kids in campaigners. It has been fun to watch momentum roll in our area. We have some promising leaders on the rise in Quest. We will keep on keepin’ on. We will “rest in thee” (St. A.). More to come later.

Thank you.

Lord, I am watching, waiting, listening, and wondering. Here am I.

Blessings,

-ao

No comments: