Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Trees…fences..and boundaries

Well…today’s the day.  A fence begins. Well, actually, it began a while back! It began when I cut down the first vine, the first little tree, and when I started up the borrowed chainsaw. Then I piled on more and more of the same – it was a mountain of brush in front of our house. It was a mountain of my own success! Manhood. It was awesome. It was hard work. The work continues….

Yesterday a friend of mine came over and sawed down a tree that would have taken me probably a full day to make happen….and I’m guessing I could have done some serious damage when it fell.  Instead, I called up my friend, Joe and he came out to scope the scene.  He smiled and said, “I could have that tree down in 7 minutes!” Then, just for kicks…he said he could put on a show for my sons and after being up in the air and cutting down some limbs it would take a grand total of about 30 minutes or less. Unreal. So, he climbed, he sawed, he conquered. Again – awesome…in the words of Wyatt, “Wwwwoooooaaaaahhh!!!” I said to him, “That’s pretty crazy, huh?”  Wyatt said, “yeah….or pretty cool!”.  yes, indeed, son.

Now, the posts are going up. I’m nervous for the lines we’ve drawn in our yard….that I got too close to our neighbors fence on the back side…we measured, we used property pins…not sure they did when their fence went up…..and we didn’t spend the money on a survey….but I think it looks good…looks ready to roll, baby! Posts go up today.  Pickets go up Friday a.m.  Did we get it right?  Will our fence look good?  Will we be satisfied?  Are our boundary lines correct? All good questions. 

The answer to me – is to relinquish and hand over trust. Or, to trust..simply trust that it’s right. We took our time, we measured, we were very careful and very selective.  We belong to the Lord.  We trust Him. His faithfulness is solid and true. He is faithful…to Himself…and His word.  He is love. 

Here’s to the next step in the process of making this place our own. 

Blessings,

-ao

No comments: