Tuesday, May 29, 2012

This place is magical

 

That’s what you hear from folks….kids, campers…leaders – all in one way or the other will talk about the beauty and the awesomeness of Crooked Creek Ranch.  They will drop their jaws over the splendor and grandeur of God’s creation so wonderfully displayed in a 3D view right here at camp. It cannot be helped….but to simply notice the magnanimous wonder that God has put on display.  It is a part of His story unfolding in the lives and hearts of kids that are here. After all, I am here because… for whatever reason, the Lord has decided to use me as part of his scripting in their lives….one way or the other. So, I will be here, I will go forth and trust in His call. I sure need to….I am thankful for the joy that comes from the Lord…the joy that He gives me and that is the same joy that Jesus experiences in his relationship with the Father…I get to have that in my heart and my life because of Christ in me. That is beauty that no Rocky Mountain view can compete with!

Last night, we had a “rodeo” at the coral followed by the best barbeque meal in Young Life…..it was incredible. Next up was a wild YL club where James, our camp speaker, talked about God becoming one of us – that He put on skin, that he, like a daddy playing with his children, “got down on the blanket” to be with us and to reveal himself….for you, for me.  Kids were able to consider the question, “What do you think about Jesus?” and “What do you think about God becoming one of us?” They could also reveal their doubts and questions, too. All that takes place in what we call “cabin time”. 

After cabin time, we went to the “Western Revue” – similar to an old timey “variety show” with fun, songs, and skits and games. It was a hit….especially when the Summer Staff brought out 400 ice cream sundaes for a fun and sweet night cap! I loved being with our high school friends and seeing the look on their faces when all this happened.

My eyes are slowly healing….the redness is dying down and the swelling is all but gone. Please keep praying and please keep praying for our high school friends, that they would be open to hearing the gospel and receiving whatever God might have in store for them. There is much more….so much more for them to hear and to get a chance to unpack what is going on within their hearts. One of my friends, he’s a senior and he is clueless on the love of God. He does not know the Love God offers him….he does not really care, he simply lives his wild life with no regrets or consequences in his mind. I am so thankful he is here and so hopeful that God might open up his heart to reveal Himself to my friend. 

Today is Day 3.  In my time with the Lord this morning…here are some things I read:

“The joy that Jesus offers His disciples is His own joy, which flows from His intimate communion with the One who sent Him.  It is a joy that does not separate happy days from sad days, successful moments from moments of failure, experiences of honor from experiences of dishonor, passion from resurrection.  This joy is a divine gift that does not leave us during times of illness, poverty, oppression, or persecution.”

                                                                        -Lifesigns, Henri Nouwen

“Joyful persons do not necessarily make jokes, laugh, or even smile.  They are not people with an optimistic outlook on life who always revitalize the seriousness of a moment or event.  No, joyful persons see with open eyes the hard reality of human existence and at the same time are not imprisoned by it.  They have no illusion about the evil powers that roam around, “looking for someone to devour” (1 Peter 5:8), but they also know that death has no final power.  They suffer with those who suffer, yet they do not hold on to suffering; they point beyond it to an everlasting peace.”

                                                                       -Lifesigns, Henri Nouwen

 

“And Nehemiah, who was the governor, and Ezra the priest and scribe, and the Levites who taught the people said to all the people, “This day is holy to the Lord your God; do not mourn or weep.” For all the people wept as they heard the words of the Law. 10 Then he said to them, “Go your way. Eat the fat and drink sweet wine and send portions to anyone who has nothing ready, for this day is holy to our Lord. And do not be grieved, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.”

                                                                         -Nehemiah 8:9-11 ESV

 

Today, as I am choosing the Joy that comes from Christ….and praying over and playing with and leading my high school friends….may I recognize the joy of the Lord is my strength…nothing else. That I choose Him. Choose His love. Choose His comfort and joy. His glory.  I just get to come along for the ride….oh, that I would really believe this and live it.

Blessings,

-ao

No comments: