Monday, January 26, 2009

A Psalm....for you..and me

 

This came out of my daily time....

....and to the one who taught me how to tie my shoes, how to ride a horse, that "first impressions are everlasting" and when "you fall....you've gotta get back up on that horse...", the one who showed me how to tie a fisherman's knot, how to drive a straight-shift, how to go chop down a Christmas tree and drag it behind a horse (like in the "old days"), to one who expressed more grace than needed to me, and gave unnecessary mercy over and over again.

this is for him who scooped me up and through me in the air, who always waited at the top of the hill everyday during BHS football practice - just to not "be in the way" even though what I always enjoyed was knowing he was there...somewhere, to the one who taught me how to love my family, who took me with him everywhere he went, who brought me to UT football games my whole life, who prays for me on a regular basis....to the one whom I talk about more than he'll probably ever know, the one I refer to when I talk about family and love and power in a relationship.  I thought of you (and so many things along the way that I didn't mention..)when I was in this Psalm.  thanks, you know who you are - I love you, Dad.

"Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name!  Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's. 

The LORD works righteousness and justice for all who are oppressed.  He made known his ways to Moses, his acts to the people of Israel.  The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.  He will not always chide, nor will he keep his anger forever.  He does not deal with us according to our sins, nor repay us according to our iniquities.  For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us.  As a father shows compassion to his children, so the LORD shows compassion to those who fear him.

....The LORD has established his throne in the heavens, and his kingdom rules over all.  Bless the LORD, O you his angels, you mighty ones who do his word, obeying the voice of his word!

Bless the LORD, all his hosts, his ministers, who do his will!  Bless the LORD, all his works, in all places of his dominion.  Bless the LORD, O my soul!"

                                                          - Psalm 103: 1-13; 19-22 ESV

 

This was my Psalm of the day.  I have been back and forth between the Psalms and in Jeremiah..in my time with the Lord.  Here's my take on today:

     Bless the Lord...in all I do - forever, give Him Glory.  He gives me life better than ever imagined, he forgives all my iniquities and heals disease (my main one, sin condition).  he redeems (buys me back - "bought with a price")me from the 'pit' in life.  He offers me His love and his mercy (not giving me what I deserve).  The father satisfies me with good - for nothing can change him...nothing; He is good...He is very good.

     The Lord works righteousness for me...and all who follow Him - all in His love, His timing, His calling, and in His eyes.  God is gracious and abounding in love - His love for me is infinitely greater than I can fathom, and he forgets my past.  His love is as high as the heavens and he removes my sins from me as far as the East is from the West - this means that I will never have to look upon my transgressions again.  If a man were to travel the globe going North...and kept going North, eventually, he would be traveling South. And if he were to travel South and continue traveling South, he would eventually he be going due North.  However, if while traveling the globe, this man were to head West and keep going West, he would always be going...West - and if he were to travel East, he would always be going East; his direction would never change and neither would the "east meet the west". So, this means that when I have faith in Christ, His love for me, and His payment on the Cross, I can trust and believe that through His death, I have become separated as far as the East is from the West, infinitely, from my sin - and that I will never come 'face to face' with my sin...and never look upon it again!

     He is compassionate.  Bless Him, bless the Lord - he is great!  I have the light of God the Father in my heart, through my belief and faith in Jesus.  When God created the world, and said, "Let there be light..", this same light is in my heart and alive in me, today.  This is being clothed with the Light of God - whom is truly the "light of the world" - Jesus Christ, my Lord.

 

May I be obedient to Jesus Christ.

 

                                                     

-ao         

No comments: