Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Value of Christmas – my family

Today is December 22nd; It is 3 days before Christmas.  I love Christmas time….it’s my favorite time of year.  I get to enjoy my family. I get to be with my wife…be with my kids….be home and have no place to “be”.  Christmas – celebration of my redemption made true in Christ.  A baby.  Born to die.  Born to rescue.  Born to prove and define what is love.  A baby.  Born to walk the Earth and radically proclaim God.  Born to tell of a place and life that is full and light.  Born to touch lives and those with leprosy.  Leprosy – something that is of a sickness….a skin disease, yet today it can come in many forms, a metaphor of sorts for illness, frustration, hindrance, problems, sin, emptiness, woundedness, loneliness, oozing battles in life, and the list goes on. 

Jesus.  Born of a virgin.  A miracle.  No fame.  No “glory”.  A stable…a cave…damp, cold, messy, and loud! Or, was it quiet…quiet due to the wonder of what was to come – ridicule, death of children in the region, a defining moment of recognition to state the claim from God the Father – a moment when Jesus would make public His plan (the plan of the Father) to rescue me.  And then he would go on to love…..and to walk to the garbage dump and hand over his life.  He was a baby…..perfect little skin….messy diapers, learning to walk…..first words, first smiles, first everything – first to take away sin forever.  And now, I can believe.  When I believe in Him I receive life forever with the Father in Heaven.  I receive eternal life in Christ Jesus.  Life.  Eternal.  Christ.

Christmas.  What do you think of when you think of Christmas?  I think of extravagant get-togethers and family outings.  I think of big Christmas trees and hanging ornaments…….I think of cutting down a tree on the farm and hauling it back through the snow behind our horses….I think of putting sheets under the doors and plastic over the windows and turning up the music to soak in all that the cold season has to offer.  I think of going to Grammy’s house….of letters from Don and re-cappings of the year.  I think of going to CSPC for the midnight service and candlelight worship of Jesus the baby being born as I would wear my new clothes from my Mom’s side of the family since we’d had Christmas that AM.  Christmas.  I think of love.  I think of fires and good naps on the couch.  I think of sausage balls and doughnuts.  I think of going to the mountains…..of laughing with family and being together.  I think of telling our boys that Christmas is about Christ and celebrating the baby Jesus and the life He offers us.  I think of hearing Wyatt ask about my “clinging cross” in my back pocket; if I have it to “go to church and worship Jesus” and then if I hug Mommy and buy her presents to “worship Mommy”!!  Christmas.  It is just awesome. 

Three days away – I am waiting….again…looking forward to Him.  Looking forward to a sweet time with Olivia and the boys. 

Sometimes…..it is harder than all that above.  Sometimes there are issues and family and obstacles and things that “get in the way” of celebrating.  Sometimes…..those are things that steal the joy from this sweet season.  Parties. Presents. Budgets.  Death.  Memories of the past.  Old traditions.  New traditions.  New homes and cities.  Arguments re-kindled.  Emotions that re-appear.  Sometimes Christmas can lose its meaning….and what, exactly, is the “holiday” that (they) are referring to when they say, “Happy Holidays!” ??  Is there a Holiday in there….and which ONE would it be?  What is the day that is H-O-L-Y??  Holy-day.  Yes, it is.  Why would I get up-in-arms over anything more than the celebration of Jesus Christ. His love – infinite for me.  My family – those whom He has called me to the most!  My family – my immediate family.  My wife. My sons.  Christ be first….then be my family and along the way I get to be with those others…the wonderful others whom He has called me to. 

Lord Jesus, I love you.  Olivia, I am yours.  Wyatt and Boone I will walk with you and be your dad with all I have. 

Merry Christmas…..in 3 wonderful days. 

Blessings.

-ao

No comments: