Thursday, February 25, 2010

Rules were broken

 

My family and I went to the Davis Family YMCA today.  We just joined the new club and are excited about what this new venture entails. So, today….our first day – we went to check out the pool.  We had the idea of taking our boys to the pool to swim as a means of easing in at the ol’ health club and playin’ it cool; acclimating as we go.

So, in comes the couple who’s out of shape and lugging two little kids.  Also we notice that we’ve arrived at the Happy Hour of kiddy land meets YMCA pool time due to a swim lesson happening simultaneously.  To my left, a greek god who is probably 40ish years old and makes me feel like one short and fat and hairy slob who has yet to take off my shirt.  To my right is the super model mom who’s chasing her child around the pool as he gets faster, her whisper’d attempts to call his name are failing – meanwhile the lifeguards are cracking up but remembering their job is to stop this little guy from running. No horseplay at the pool, remember? So, in the midst of all this and the couple who seems to be on a date in the corner watching the other people swimming:  The Ogles come in to the pool house. Moment of truth?  Taking my shirt off.  That’s right…..somebody’s gotta do it.  So, I make people stumble…what can I say – I’m made in the image of the Lord.  Actually, it was a truth moment…one that truly made me feel that this is the time to join the Y and I am so very grateful they were willing to help the Ogles and offer some aid as we could not have made this happen.  The Lord continues to watch over us – it’s nuts….really, His love is crazy…for me, for you, for all of us!

I slip my husky physique into the waters at the Davis Family YMCA and attempt to get Wyatt to follow….he hugs the railing and throws a fit. However, he’s happy as can be….just at the railing.  I have Boone on my hip….confused but excited – then, She comes running – not Olivia…the lifeguard.  The one who just five minutes earlier got confused as all get out when I questioned if I could bring our kids into the pool and she said I would have to sign up with the swimming lessons coach and there was a possible wait list and that it occurred all year long. After convincing her I wanted to get in the pool right now with my son…she laughed and told me yes.  She runs over to us to remind me I am not allowed in the pool without first rinsing off.  So, she points me to the shower. I can’t keep the water warm – HOT or COLD.  Idiot!   I think to myself.  Back to the pool ramp – Wyatt holding on and Boone on my hip.   We laugh, play and move in.  Olivia joins us.  Then, I place Boone on the ledge by the entrance – nope! Can’t do that – lifeguard reminds me no parking babies on the ledge – too slippery. I keep going….we laugh it off and no worries, right?  So, then I gain the courage to ask about letting Boone jump into my arms off the side of the pool – which is technically a dive and if there is no diving in this sweet pool, I would be, again, in direct violation of the pool rules. The other lifeguard smiles politely with a courtesy laugh and says it’s okay.  Wyatt joins me for  a swim just a few minutes later.  I place him on my back and swim for manhood.  Realizing before I get to the other end the original life guard is chasing me down from the side with her reluctant smile to remind me of another rule – NO PIGGY BACK RIDES!  So, we smile again – I say thanks for letting me know…and I realize my wife is now laughing at me because in about 20 minutes I broke perhaps all the rules in the joint! I also protected my family from learning those lessons the hard way be becoming the rookie guinea pig at the YMCA.

 

So, rules were broken today.  Rules.  Who needs ‘em?  Or, do we need rules? Why are rules here?  Why discipline?  Why have to work for it?  Why can’t I have it my way? Sorry Burger King…but if I get it my way – it seems that is really a bigger picture of the symptoms to a greater illness.  This illness that lurks within. One that is a reflection of rules that were broken – rules that allowed freedom and trust from God, yet the evil one deceived and this illness entered the Earth, made by God.  Rules were broken. 

 

Christ in me.  The hope of Glory. God did something about the rule break.  He jumped into the pool….to rescue his creation.  He put on skin…and moved into the neighborhood.  He rescues me daily.  Jesus Christ became a man….he became nothing….he became obedient (always has been and will be to His Father in Heaven) to death on a cross – that I may claim Christ as my Lord and rescuer of the Rules that were Broken.  I am broken apart from Christ. Christ has redeemed me. 

 

I will go back to the YMCA tomorrow.  I will reclaim victory and this time will be within the guidelines and freedom of their gift to the Ogles.  I will continue my conquest for health.  I will continue my walk with the Lord.  I trust Him.  I am His.  Today is a good day – He has made it. 

 

I belong.

 

Blessings,

-ao

No comments: