Tuesday, March 30, 2010

My friends – A prayer softball

I have been a Young Life leader since 1997.  I have met quite a few high schoolers from LCHS.  I have had the privilege of being a lot of guys’ leader. It has simply been a fun gig…a bit of life on life….life coaching, and talking about things that matter the most. It has been a lot of tackling issues in their lives and listening to them pour out their hearts as I do my best to point them to the source of life, hope and love – Jesus Christ.

Sometimes it sinks in.  Christ. A relationship with Him….and a life-long relationship with them (and myself). It sinks in that we are connected….connected in Christ and / or connected in our friendship. I tell my high school friends that I am like a coach to them….that once someone is your “Coach” they will, more than likely, always be “Coach” to them. So, like a coach…I am always going to be (your) YL Leader I say.

There are two kids in particular (not really “kids” anymore) that I have felt like the Lord has given me long term access and accessibility to and from them.  Aaron and John.  Their lives are wild. Their lives have had incredible twists and turns. Somehow, I keep running into them. They keep calling. I keep thinking of them. They keep showing up. Life keeps getting in the way and messes happen.  Just last week my phone read in a text message, “I’m in trouble…I need help!” and then tonight….I see my other friend.  Wyatt asked me, “Daddy, is he your friend?” –“yes, son, he sure is Daddy’s friend…I have been able to be his Young Life leader and we have talked about Jesus…”

These two guys….more than any other two I have spent time with have remained on my heart. More than just remaining on my heart as so many do – I have lost touch with them. I can’t find them. I have no way of reaching them. But, if I’m lying I’m dying!! I just being to pray for them and pray specifically that God would allow us another encounter soon.  It happens over and over again – I run into them or they find me.  One of them calls me.  The other one, I always see “out and about” in our town. We joke about it, now.  Tonight when I saw him for the first time in 5 months…he and I hugged and I smiled saying to him, “I knew I’d run into you soon!”.  He smiled back and said he’d been wanting to ask me to go to lunch and had been asking around about me.  These guys are special.  All of them are special. That’s the thing…doing what I do – it is special. I get to step into the lives of trouble, of crap, of messes, of family breakup, fights, drugs, sexual issues, disbelief, poverty, bad grades, divorce, anger, loss of hope, threats, and the list goes on.  But for a few of them…and for a few pieces of my heart and me – the memories continue and we carry on the flame of “Coach”  - Young Life leader; minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ; friend for life.

I am so glad I get to pray for John and Aaron. I am so glad my sons know I hang out with guys like them.  I am so thankful to come home and tell Olivia who I’ve just seen and hear her sweet responses. Thank you, Jesus.  I pray I get to have lunch soon with my buddies….and many more like them.  I pray you would pursue the mess out of them…that they would walk with you. 

To God be the Glory.

Blessings,

-ao

No comments: