Thursday, October 20, 2011

He is getting at something: a ‘listening.

 

He is getting at something, Jesus is. He is getting at my life…my inner life. My decisions. The choices I make on a daily basis. He is getting at my lifestyle – they way I choose to walk around this Earth and interact and show myself or what  I truly believe in….what, really, is the Lord of my life. I heard recently if you turn a man upside down, what he really puts his confidence and trust and lifestyle rhythms in – that will be what falls out of the man’s pockets. So, the quote said, put your confidence in the hope of Jesus so that His hope is what comes out when your life turns upside down.

Hope. In Jesus. Life upside down. Something about that seems a bit….accurate theology, no? I think so. Life upside down – forcing me to really see what I trust in – the Lord gaining my attention – He is fond of you and me so He will do whatever it takes, perhaps, to help us to recognize love. I am reading in the book and gospel of Matthew in my time alone w/Jesus. I am in chapter 24. Here is some of where I have been:

 

25“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and the plate, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. 26You blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and the plate, that the outside also may be clean. 27“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs, which outwardly appear beautiful, but within are full of dead people’s bones and all uncleanness. 28So you also outwardly appear righteous to others, but within you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.

“As he sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the close of the age?” 4And Jesus answered them, “See that no one leads you astray. 5For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and they will lead many astray. 6And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not alarmed, for this must take place, but the end is not yet. 7For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8All these are but the beginning of the birth pains. 9“Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and put you to death, and you will be hated by all nations for my name’s sake. 10And then many will fall away[K]and betray one another and hate one another. 11And many false prophets will arise and lead many astray. 12And because lawlessness will be increased, the love of many will grow cold. 13But the one who endures to the end will be saved. 14And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

“From the fig tree learn its lesson: as soon as its branch becomes tender and puts out its leaves, you know that summer is near. 33So also, when you see all these things, you know that he is near, at the very gates. 34Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place. 35Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away. No One Knows That Day and Hour 36“But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son but the Father only. 37For as were the days of Noah, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 38For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, 39and they were unaware until the flood came and swept them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 40Then two men will be in the field; one will be taken and one left. 41Two women will be grinding at the mill; one will be taken and one left. 42Therefore, stay awake, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming. 43But know this, that if the master of the house had known in what part of the night the thief was coming, he would have stayed awake and would not have let his house be broken into. 44Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect. 45“Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom his master has set over his household, to give them their food at the proper time? 46Blessed is that servant whom his master will find so doing when he comes. 47Truly, I say to you, he will set him over all his possessions. 48But if that wicked servant says to himself, ‘My master is delayed,’ 49and begins to beat his fellow servants[N]and eats and drinks with drunkards, 50the master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he does not know 51and will cut him in pieces and put him with the hypocrites. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”

-Matthew 23:25-28; 24:3-14;32-51 ESV

 

One theme seems to prevail, here. At first glance it probably feels a bit harsh to read this section of scripture, especially to one who may or may not be a skeptic or doubter of God’s reality and truth and live. But, if in a rhythm with the Lord in regular readings and gaining the story in the midst of the words – that these are sayings that really did happen, accounts that really are historically true and the words were spoken from (so many of them) the Son of God….it begins to take a different shape. Not such a nasty and griping and “tisk-tisk” sort of God in the sky, but one whom went through much to communicate is love, divinity and care for you and me.

Jesus is getting at something: obedience. I believe there is a root word in Latin (sounds really smart, huh?) for ‘obedience’ and it is the word “audire’” also written as ob – oedire. Both words carry this meaning: to listen. What is Jesus Christ telling us in these words of ‘let no one lead (us) astray’ and to ‘watch for the Lord…’ as we are careful for how we are living in the in-between of now and the Great Rescue??? I believe He is telling me to “listen” – to obey his commands and follow His Word – be obedient to the Lord. When I hear “be obedient” or “obey and follow commands” – it does NOT appeal to me. However, when I understand that our word comes after knowing the definition of obedience….that it is ‘a listening (Thomas a’ Kempis said, “my life is a’ listening and His is a’ speaking”) to the Lord’s guidance, then I am more apt to actually being obedience because I feel like the Bible can come alive and is not a list of rules but a guide to connectedness to God and a glimpse into the Kingdom of Heaven.

A glimpse into Heaven? Listening to God? Connected to the Son of Man?

Sounds wild…doesn’t it?? Sounds like a life I want to live and one I want my family to be a part of, too. It’s a life that God desires you and me to dig into.

Worth consideration.

Blessings,

-ao

No comments: