What if my story was a story? What if my story were something that wanted to be read? What if my thoughts kept popping out and landed on paper somewhere and people really wanted to inquire and wondered about my life in ways that made them pay for the paper they read about my life?
Well, for some people – that’s their life. But I bet if we looked into their minds…if their minds were like a movie playing in front of all of us, they might confess or we’d see their thoughts of wondering why people read their thoughts and why do people buy their stories and wonder how interesting they really are when, perhaps, in fact they are concerned with how cool their life REALLY is. It could get old. Couldn’t it? Sometimes I wonder if my stories are worth telling and if they are worth telling would they be worth reading? Paying for? Looking at? Re-telling to other parties? For some reason, I think there are ideas that show up in my mind about ten times a day that would be worth writing about and yet I never take the time to write them down.
You got a story? I bet you do. I have a story. I have something to say – so my mind says. My story is random. My wife says my Facebook status updates make zero sense – that they are random and just don’t add up, so to speak. I say that I am the one who makes zero sense…it’s why I have my story and why I think my stories just might fly! So, what am I planning on doing about this story….and the ones that come and go? I think I want to start logging these ideas somewhere. I have a friend who talks about life being lots of great book titles…not so much the material for great books and all that jazz but just good book titles. That’s his life. I think I agree with him. I have found some good titles. My hope is to fill in the gaps with my stories and my ideas. I am going to begin unpacking some of my stories…and eventually they’ll get out of my head and onto something somewhere else…and we’ll see then.
My friend once told me how he’d been working on a book for about seven years (this was four years ago) and it was still not in draft form ready for final edits. Then it finally came to the edit stage! We celebrated. I don’t honestly know if he is published now or not – but what I now understand is how it took seven years. Life gets in they way. So, here’s my challenge to myself to write my thoughts down.
Life is a story. Write yours down. I’m headed that way. I think I like it. It keeps lingering…you know.
Blessings.
-ao
No comments:
Post a Comment