Saturday, April 3, 2010

man, a story belongs

So, I’ve been thinking how there are lots of stories that float through my mind on any given day. I mean….lots of stories. Fun ones. Bad ones. Children’s stories and manly stories alike – they just float in and float away……landing somewhere down stream.
My problem is that I don’t seem to find the floaters. I read today about how Don Miller uses a Kitchen Timer when he writes. He says as long as the timer is tickin’ he’s writing on that project / topic and not answering his phone or checking email, etc. – just ticking away on the story he’s writing. I could adopt a similar philosophy. There are times that is what I shoot for – but this season of life…it’s just so dang challenging. I am spinning a lot of plates and in the midst of that it gets tough to slow down long enough to let out of the bag what lurks within. I feel like perhaps I have something to say. I day dream of just uninterrupted time while sitting in the mountains, my front porch, a deck overlooking the beach and listening to the waves….as I just let it out. Writing whatever comes up in my mind and letting the stories take a route of their own and seeing where it all lands when the buzzer goes off.
I think one day I will get this chance but until then I suppose it’s good to have a vision and hope – just think…if I had time to really think about what I write….as you read this…it could be something you might really like! Until then….here’s to stories, creativity, timing and seasons of life.
A story lurks within….no, really, it does.
DSC_1480
We finally got our yard worked on – it isn’t what we’d hoped for but there’s some fun in sitting on the back patio with these two little dudes watching the guys run the skid steer and letting boys be boys. We are lining up for more memories and more stories at our home. Thanks be to God.

Blessings,
-ao

1 comment:

Chris Paschal said...

Praying for you, friend. Your boys are getting BIG